JULES FERRY HIGH SCHOOL, CANNES
BTS Analyses de Biologie Médicale
Explanatory leaflet for an internship abroad
1. Framework of the diploma
The « BTS Analyses de Biologie Médicale» is a technical and vocational training over two years, after the French baccalauréat (equivalent of the A-level), which enables students to get a Higher National Diploma. It is a French Diploma taken two years after high school graduation, equalling level 3 in the French Framework and level 5 in the European Framework.
2. Profile and school career of the students
The students usually start this training when 18, and finish it when 20. They are generally 19 during their internship. Some students have already had a previous experience in higher education institutions and are one or two years older.
- 70% of the students have a technological A-level (STL), which implies that they already have a two-year experience in the technological field, (even if overall), along with a thorough theoretical scientific training in mathematics and physics.
- 25% of the students have a scientific A-level, which implies that they have a very good theoretical level thanks to a high level scientific training. They discover the technological field when in HND.
- 5% of the students have a vocational A-level, which implies that they have more vocational skills than theoretical ones. Only the best students in vocational training get to pursue their studies for a HND.
About 20% of the students are motivated to pursue their studies after the HND (10% in an engineering school or at the University to achieve a master’s level, and 10% in a vocational bachelor’s degree to reach a bachelor’s level).
3. Dates, duration and expectations of the internship
The internship, also called the training period, takes place at the end of the first year, from May, 15th, approximately and is expected to last 7 weeks. For an internship abroad, though, it can last up to 2 months, if that is more beneficial to the student.
The internship must be conducted in a field related to medical analysis, in hospitals, clinics or high-volume medical laboratories.
The main activities of the intern are similar to the work of a laboratory medical technician, which mean the follow of each steps of a medical analysis. Collect health information from the patients, enter clerical data, process specimens with automated analysers, verify and control the analysis progress under physician or laboratory manager supervision.
The intern can receive payment, but there is no obligation on the company to do so.
The company provides the student with a tutor for reference; someone who works in the same department as the student during the internship. At the same time, Jules Ferry High School, will appoint a member of the 1st year HND educational team to act as liaison.
The company manager, the principal, and the students will all sign an internship agreement, stating the rights and duties of each and every one, as well as the names of the company tutor and the referring teacher.
4. Knowledge and skills of the students in Medical Analysis HND, during the internship
At the end of the first year, the students in Medical Analysis HND class :
- Know basics techniques in biochemistry: centrifugation, spectrophotometry, enzymology.
- Know basics techniques in molecular biology: Nucleic acid extraction and quantification, electrophoresis, PCR.
- Know basics techniques in immuno-hematology: ELISA, cell counting, complete blood count (CBC), blood type.
- Know basics techniques in microbiology: microscopy, staining, aseptic technique, identification, antibiotic sensitivity.
- Have received a formation in quality assurance: ISO 15189, accreditation, French accreditation body (COFRAC)
- Have received a formation to obtain “Certification to blood sampling of venous blood” (venipuncture).
- Have received formation to workplace heath and safety rules specific to medicals laboratories.
- Use computer-based tools for the desktop holding (word processor, spreadsheet, presentation program).
5. Selection and preparation of the students for an internship abroad
The first year HND students who wish to do an internship abroad, will be selected by the biochemistry, microbiology, cellular biology, molecular biology and English teachers, based on the following criteria:
- Level of communication in English (B1 minimum, B2 preferably)
- Level of skills achieved in the applied technical field
- Level of theoretical skills (if the tasks involved, require it)
The high school will organize extra training in English (approximately 30 hours) for the students doing an internship abroad.