JULES FERRY HIGH SCHOOL, CANNES
BTS MAINTENANCE DES SYSTEMES
Option : Production
Explanatory leaflet for an internship abroad
1. Framework of the diploma
The « BTS Maintenance des Systèmes de Production » is a technological and vocational training over two years, after the French baccalauréat (equivalent of the A-level), which enables students to get a Higher National Diploma in Production Systems Maintenance. It is a French Diploma taken two years after high school graduation, equalling level 3 in the French Framework and level 5 in the European Framework.
2. Profile and school career of the students
The students usually start this training when 18, and finish it when 20. They are generally 19 during their internship. Some students have already had a previous experience in higher education institutions and are one or two years older.
- 60% of the students have a technological A-level (STI2D), which implies that they already have a two-year experience in the technological field, (even if overall), along with a thorough theoretical scientific training in mathematics and physics.
- 35% of the students have a vocational A-level, which implies that they have more vocational skills than theoretical ones. Only the best students in vocational training get to pursue their studies for a HND.
- 5% of the students have a scientific A-level. They usually have a very good theoretical level thanks to a top scientific training. They discover the technical field when in HND.
Half of the students are motivated to pursue their studies after the HND (20% in an engineering school to achieve a master’s level, and 30% in a vocational bachelor’s degree to reach a bachelor’s level).
3. Dates, duration and expectations of the internship
The internship, also called the training period, is a 2 step process:
At the end of the first year, from May, 29th, 2017, for 5 weeks, students will attend a « worker » internship. The main objective of this period is to discover and experience work-life and its specific requirements.
The first part of the internship can be spent simply observing the different positions in order to understand the job. Subsequently the student will carry out preventive maintenance operations, which will enable the tutor to give a grade.
Following this period, the student has to write a report and in May defend it. One third of the defense will be conducted in English.
The second half of the internship should, whenever possible, be with the same company, for 6 weeks, around January. This period is dedicated to the achievement of the maintenance project, which will lead to an oral exam in June.
The internship must be conducted in a field related to electromechanical engineering, hydraulics or pneumatics. It must be with an industrial manufacturer or a company specialized in maintenance whether it be in the fields of aviation, automobile, naval, chemistry, pharmaceuticals, agrifood, or electrical power.
The intern can receive payment, but there is no obligation on the company to do so.
The company provides the student with a tutor for reference; someone who works in the same department as the student during the internship. At the same time, Jules Ferry High School, will appoint a member of the 1st year HND educational team to act as liaison.
The company manager, the principal, and the students will all sign an internship agreement, stating the rights and duties of each and every one, as well as the names of the company tutor and the referring teacher.
4. Knowledge and skills of the students in Production Systems Maintenance HND, during the internship
At the end of the first year, the students in Production Systems Maintenance HND class, must be able to :
- Program in the Ladder or the Grafcet language, using PL7PRO from Schneider
- Program in the Contacts language (CONT) or Logigramme (LOG) using TiaPortal from Siemens
- Program HMI Siemens
- Use Solidworks, See Electrical Expert and Automation Studio
- Read an electrical diagram and perform a wiring
- Change a standard mechanical component (bearing, joint, transmission…)
- Find information in technical literature
- Identify human risk factors and observe the adequate preventive measures
- Analyse the reliability, maintainability and safety
- Prepare corrective and preventive maintenance interventions
- Write a report
- Make an oral presentation of a technical solution
5. Selection and preparation of the students for an internship abroad
The first year HND students who wish to do an internship abroad, will be selected by the electronics, physics and English teachers, based on the following criteria:
- Level of communication in English (B1 minimum, B2 preferably)
- Level of skills achieved in the applied technical field
- Level of theoretical skills (if the tasks involved, require it)
The high school will organize extra training in English (approximately 30 hours) for the students doing an internship abroad.